Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Reflecting.....





In looking back over the last eight weeks of this course, I realize just how little I really knew about 21st century framework in education. I didn't feel comfortable with my own skills in digital literacy, thus making it particularly difficult to bring these skills into my classroom. Once I really starting navigating the course, I was no longer intimidated by what was out there, I was interested. I think the one aspect of this class I found the most challenging at first would be the digital story. This is something I've been curious about for a while now, only I never had the time to devote to teaching myself how to do it. One of the reasons I enrolled in this course was I knew it was a requirement. I would have to do it! Now, it's one of the first projects I'm going to introduce next year, and I can't wait to see the results. I realize that incorporating 21st century skills into my curriculum is critical, and I want to share meaningful and interesting ways of doing that with my colleagues. This course has equipped me with the skills necessary to engage my students in the learning process, to guide them into their own investigations and outcomes, and instill in them a lifelong love of learning.

5 comments:

  1. Jenny - I have also felt that this class has given me a unique opportunity. Many of the assignments we have completed this summer will directly translate into lessons that I can use in the classroom. This is a rare chance to plan for change right before school begins. I'm also excited to get started and see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny,
    I also didn't feel comfortable with my own digital skills eight weeks ago. Now, I can't wait to try them out in the classroom--well, I'd rather be on summer vacation for the rest of my life, but I'm being realistic! Anyway, I also enjoyed the digital storytelling. It was a chance for me to really do something meaningful with the new tools I learned.
    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to hear you all are more comfortable with the tools that we are going to be teaching our students. Your students will love the digital stories especially because you have a passion for them now as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny--

    Your attitude regarding digital storytelling--you enrolled because you knew it (d.s.) would be a requirement--is similar to my recent blog post. As the class assignment motivated you for digital storytelling, the class also required us to "taste" a number of other online applications and tools. We both needed the little "push" that the class assignments give to make us take the leap into new technology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel similarly about all of these projects. There are so many I wanted to try, but didn't have sufficient motivation to attempt. Having to make the time and effort for a class is motivation! I will need to remember my own reluctance and ultimate triumph when I ask my students to do the same.

    ReplyDelete