Tuesday, July 27, 2010

21st Century Literacy

Well, this is my first blog! I'm excited!

This class has been one of five I'm taking this summer, and although I'm inundated with school work, I'm learning a great deal. I guess one of assignments I've enjoyed the most has been the digital storytelling assignment. I had been asking my family for suggestions on what I could do all week and here it was Friday evening and I hadn't come up with anything! When my husband asked if I wanted to check out the new Wegmans grocery store, I was excited but told him I couldn't go because I had to work on the project. We hadn't been able to spend any real time together since all of these classes started, so we were both disappointed. Then he suggested I make a story out of our trip! I was hesitant at first because I wasn't sure that would be "good enough." Regardless, I thought this couple of hours together was something we both really needed, so off we went. It was so much fun to do and the funny part was the Wegmans store manager told me I couldn't take pictures, so that made it even more adventuresome!

I definitely think digital storytelling has its place in my classroom. It adds another dimension to the storytelling experience. Watching the images unfold with the accompanying narration and audio caused me to become much more emotional as well. I was extremely moved by the projects in our class.

6 comments:

  1. I'm still impressed with the pub in the grocery store--I want a Wegman's in my town! Have you considered sharing the digital story on your blog?

    As for me, I'm glad to have had the opportuny to create digital stories. I've already been hired to do slideshows for friends' weddings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, good job! I love your story of how the digital storytelling video came to be. And, while Chris has been hired to do slideshows, my husband predicts that I'll be working to produce the "book trailers" for my writer friends' new releases.

    -- Susan Andrews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!!! I loved creating the digital story as well. Your blog looks great. I can't believe that you are taking 5 courses--hats off to you. How do you manage them. I am taking two and I am overwhelmed. Any tips? I hope you will find some time to relax and enjoy the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jec,

    Yeah....five classes is a bit rough. Fortunately I'm down to two now and feeling a little less frazzled. With three kids, I managed to get though it by getting up really early and trying to accomplish all I could before 8 AM. I love your profile pic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great! I am also taking five courses this summer and I am feeling overwhelemed. I have completed 2 and have 3 more to go before Sept. 1st. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Five classes is tough! Your blog looks great as well as your digital story. I thought the idea was so creative.

    ReplyDelete